I don't know what I am doing on here. I just felt the need to layout how life is to be a young married woman with my husband out on the road all week.
A little background is probably in order, huh.
D.J. and I were married in May of 2011. We moved me to NC the day after the wedding and lived there almost 2 years. He was working for a cable company and I barely saw him. He worked six days a week and could be gone until 10 or 11 at night. I was trying to find a job and we were trying to find a church. We found a great church down the road and they all became like family (I really only knew my husband and our landlords, so it was nice). I found a job as a waitress and it was a struggle everyday. We were struggling to make ends meet (neither of our jobs paid all that well) and so he decided to try being a truck driver. He found a company in Texas that would get him through his training and would give him a job. We thought we would still see each other, how very wrong we were. He started that job in April 2012 (we hadn't been married a year yet). He was gone for weeks. I saw him three times from April to December. It was the worst time ever. I was thankful for our church and our landlords but I needed D.J.
I had quit my waitress job just before he left and had started cleaning houses.While he was gone, I worked as much as I could so I wouldn't have to go home to an empty home (mostly empty anyway, as we have two cats, Nala and Gromit). Neither of us could stand the separation, so in December he found a trucking job in the area.
He started working for this company and I got to see him a little more, but still once every two weeks was crazy! I couldn't keep cleaning houses because my back was getting pretty bad (I have a slipped vertebra). So I went with him for a week. We went from NC to TX to FL and back to NC. I was so glad to be with him! Then the worst happened. The company he was driving for had lots of issues start up. We had trouble with our bank account as his paychecks would bounce. Bills got behind even more. Then, the company went under. Neither of us had a job, neither of us could find one.
So, we moved. I could get my old job back in MI and he had different opportunities for applications. At least one of us could be working. The problem? We didn't have our own house anymore. We couldn't afford it. We moved in with my dad. Sigh. How could it be that everything just turned upside down? Less than two years of married life and we are back in my old home, with just one room and bathroom to call our own. Two adults and two crazy cats in a bedroom that is smaller than our living room was in our NC home.
I went back to work. D.J. got hired on at a trucking company in town. We see each other once a week now... sometimes more. But it still isn't what we want, or need. Neither of us use our degrees, no one will hire unless we have experience. I started substitute teaching and he is still driving truck. We still live with my father and we still want our own place.
No comments:
Post a Comment